Our portfolio companies are making headlines by changing the life of patients. Stay up-to-date on their latest news.
- Epics Therapeutics Initiates First-in-Human Studies with EP282, an oral Investigational Drug for the treatment of gastrointestinal inflammatory disorders and cancer
- PRISM、Roche社とGenentech社と共同研究・ライセンス契 約を締結
- Sequana Medical announces FDA approval to expand patient enrolment in North American pivotal alfapump® study (POSEIDON)
- ACTICOR BIOTECH announces its projected IPO on the Euronext Growth® market in Paris
- ニュートン・バイオキャピタル、株式会社PRISM BioLabに新規投資
- Newton Biocapital invests in PRISM BioLab to support development of a unique peptide mimetic technology platform to discover new drugs for intractable diseases
- Newton Biocapital invests in EditForce to support development of a unique DNA/RNA editing platform based on PPR protein technology
- Newton Biocapital invests in NeuVasQ: EUR 20 million Series A to develop unique blood-brain barrier therapy
- Acticor Biotech Announces appointment of Mr Alain Munoz as Chairman of the Board of Directors and Mrs Sophie Binay and Mr Yannick Pletan as General Managers.
- SEQUANA MEDICAL ANNOUNCES NEW SHARE CAPITAL AMOUNT AND NEW NUMBER OF SHARES
- Newton Biocapital invests in Flemish start-up DeuterOncology
- Newton Biocapital I invests in Perseus Proteomics Inc. in Japan to develop therapeutic antibodies for the treatment of blood cancers
- Sequana Medical announces positive interim data from North American pivotal alfapump® study (POSEIDON)
- Sequana Medical announces strong interim results from RED DESERT alfapump® DSR study and provides business update
- ACTICOR BIOTECH ANNOUNCES THE SUCCESS OF THE FIRST PHASE OF ITS ACTIMIS STUDY WITH GLENZOCIMAB IN PATIENTS WITH ACUTE ISCHEMIC STROKE
- ジェイファーマ株式会社 総額 17 億 4 千 6 百万円の資金調達完了
- J-Pharma Raises 1,746 million JPY in Funding
- SEQUANA MEDICAL SUCCESSFULLY RAISES EUR 19.0 MILLION IN AN EQUITY PLACEMENT
- Sequana Medical announces first patient enrolled in RED DESERT – REpeated Dose alfapump® DSR study for Treatment of diuretic-resistant heart failure patients
- Sequana Medical appoints leading experts as Heart Failure Scientific Advisors
- Sequana Medical announces unconditional IDE approval from U.S. FDA to start alfapump® pivotal study (POSEIDON)
- SEQUANA MEDICAL announces inclusion of alfapump® in German treatment guidelines (DGVS) for complications of liver cirrhosis
- Sequana Medical announces acceptance of late-breaking abstract of DSR therapy for volume overload in heart failure at Heart Failure 2019 Congress
- EditForce raises 870 million JPY
- エディットフォース株式会社 総額 8 億 7 千万円の資金調達完了
- Sequana Medical raises €27.5 million in successful Initial Public Offerin
- Sequana Medical announces the Coverage of the Base Offering of Its Initial Public Offering on Euronext Brussels
- Sequana Medical Launches Its Initial Public Offering on Euronext Brussels
- Sequana Medical receives Breakthrough Device designation from the FDA for its alfapump®
- 株式会社日本政策投資銀行（DBJ）日欧アーリーステージ医薬品のベンチャーキャピタル Newton Biocapital I pricaf privée SAへの出資契約を締結
- DBJ Signs Contract with Newton Biocapital I Pricaf Privee SA, a Japanese-European Venture Capital Fund for Early Stage Pharmaceuticals
- EPICS Therapeutics to Acquire Ogeda former assets, Adding Drug Discovery & Development Capabilities
- UK NICE recommends use of the alfapump® for the treatment of refractory ascites caused by cirrhosis under special arrangements
- SEQUANA MEDICAL establishes new corporate headquarters in Ghent, Belgium and raises €8.5 million from leading Belgian investors including Newton Biocapital, PMV and SFPI-FPIM as well as existing shareholders
- ACTICOR BIOTECH raises € 15.3 M in a Series B financing
- CHROMACURE S.A., a spin-off from the Université libre de Bruxelles (ULB),is launched with €17m committed equity investment to develop enhanced cancer therapies
- SYNERGIA raises €8.1 million in Series A
- ACTICOR BIOTECH ANNOUNCES THAT THE EUROPEAN MEDICINES AGENCY CLEARS THE ROUTE FOR A PHASE II OF ITS ACT017 PRODUCT IN STROKE
UK NICE recommends use of the alfapump® for the treatment of refractory ascites caused by cirrhosis under special arrangements
Ghent, BELGIUM – November 15, 2018 – Sequana Medical NV (“Sequana Medical”, the “Company”), a commercial stage medical device company focused on the development of innovative treatment solutions for the management of liver disease, heart failure, malignant ascites and other fluid imbalance disorders, announces today that the UK National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (“NICE”) has published updated Interventional Procedures Guidance (“IPG”) supporting the use of the alfapump® for the treatment of refractory ascites caused by cirrhosis. The updated IPG recommends use of the alfapump® under “special arrangements for clinical governance, consent, and audit or research” and replaces the previous guidance of February 2014 recommending the alfapump® for “research use only”. The updated guidance is a result of the additional safety, efficacy and quality of life data published for the alfapump®.
Ascites, a key complication of liver cirrhosis, is the accumulation of ascitic fluid in the abdomen. Patients may accumulate as much as 10 to 15 litres of ascitic fluid within the abdomen every 15 days. Patients suffering from liver refractory ascites have limited treatment options and often have severely impacted quality of life due to the severe swelling of the abdomen, resulting in pain, difficulty breathing, moving, sleeping and eating, severe nausea and constipation. Existing treatment options for refractory ascites carry the risk of significant or life-threatening side effects, provide only short-term symptomatic relief or have very limited availability.
The alfapump® is a fully-implanted, programmable, wireless, CE-marked system that automatically pumps ascites from the peritoneal cavity into the bladder, where the body eliminates the ascites naturally through urination. Clinical studies have demonstrated a significant reduction in the need for large volume paracentesis, which is paracentesis where at least 5 litres of fluid is removed (i.e., the current standard of care), and a significant improvement in patients’ quality of life.
The new IPG recommends patient selection for the alfapump® to be done in specialist centers, by clinicians experienced in managing liver disease and in the various options available for managing ascites.
“Refractory ascites has a huge effect on a patient’s quality of life” commented Judi Rhys, Chief Executive of the British Liver Trust. “Those affected report feelings of isolation and depression as they cannot do their daily activities. The updated NICE guidance for the use of the alfapump® in patients suffering from this debilitating complication of liver disease is an important step forward for the patient community and their caregivers. We are enthused by the possible reduced hospital admissions and improved quality of life this new treatment option may offer.”
“The NICE guidance reinforces our strong conviction that the alfapump® has the potential to dramatically improve the lives of patients suffering from refractory ascites” said Ian Crosbie, Chief Executive Officer at Sequana Medical. “We are strongly committed to making the alfapump® available to those patients in need of a better alternative treatment that gives them and their family the chance of living a normal life again. The forecast growth in cirrhosis and refractory ascites as a result of NASH makes the need for a modern and convenient treatment option all the more important.”
KBC Securities and Kempen & Co are acting as Joint Global Coordinators and Joint Bookrunners. Mirabaud has been appointed as Lead Manager.
Subject to the approval of the prospectus by the Belgian Financial Services and Markets Authority ("FSMA") and market conditions, it is expected that the price range, as well as other details of the Offering will be published when the Offering period is expected to commence. After its approval, the prospectus is expected to be made available at the Company's registered office and on the websites of Sequana Medical (www.sequanamedical.com) and KBC Securities NV/SA (www.kbc.be/sequana, www.bolero.be/nl/sequana and www.kbcsecurities.com.)
The Offering is expected to consist of (i) a public offering in Belgium and (ii) private placements to institutional and other qualified investors in Belgium and elsewhere outside the United States. In the United States, only qualified institutional buyers are expected to be eligible, in accordance with an exemption from the registration requirements of the United States Securities Act of 1933, as amended.
Tel: +32 (0) 498 05 35 79
Consilium Strategic Communications
Alexandra Harrison, Sukaina Virji, Laura Thornton
Tel: +44 (0) 203 709 5000